Bare Legs

Bare Legs

Part of Broadmead Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


Bare Legs (Parcel 1149) was a field in Yeovil Marsh that later became a part of Broadmead Farm, the former Donn's Farm. The 1743 Terrier recorded Bare Legs as "4 acres of meadow" and in 1856, Daniel Vickery wrote "a close called Bare Legs, containing 3 acres... situate in the tithing of Marsh, in the manor of Kingston-juxta-Yeovil." It is believed that 'bare' referred to the land being unproductive.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment (at least the copy held in the Heritage Centre at Taunton), does not record the details of Bare Legs (Parcel 1149). However, an alternative source recorded that it measured 3a 1r 30p.

Bare Legs (Parcel 1149) was bounded on the north by Ashe's Mead (Parcel 1151), to the east by Lock's Mead (Parcel 1141), to the south by Seven Acres (Parcel 1146) and to the west by Four Acre Mead (1) (Parcel 1150).

By the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Bare Legs (Parcel 1149) had been added to Broadmead Farm (the former Donn's Farm). However, its name had been changed to Bearley, and was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and was recorded as 3a 2r 19p.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.